- ► 2013 (21)
- ► 2012 (24)
- ▼ April (5)
So here it is, my first entry in a serious cake decorating competition (yes, I entered the County Fair last year, but with only 3 entries, it barely counts). I have been working on this design since Mid-March, and I started actually working on it several weeks ago. I have to say that I am very proud of this cake. I worked really hard on it and pushed myself to try new things. Piping is a skill area that I am working hard to improve, and I think this cake shows those skills to the best of their current ability.
I love the topper! I saw something similar on TV or online, or somewhere (I never did find it again once I decided to make this kind of topper); but I had no idea how to make one, so I just kind of made it up as I went along. As a result, I ended up making three of them. The first one broke when I tried to get it off the mold. The second one I got off the mold, but I used a balloon as a mold and the balloon shrank and stopped providing support (which I wanted as we travel to the venue), so I broke a small bit off when I was mucking around trying to make a new balloon support of the proper size. The third on will sit on its mold until we arrive at the event!
The bodice style separator is one of the few elements from my original vision. I really wanted something with that shape that would look wedding dress like, but that ended up being hard to find. I ended up bolting two flour pots together and molded the shape with modeling chocolate, covered in gumpaste that I pressed with a lacy pattern. I added stitch marks at the seams and added some buttons down the back and voila! I am quite happy with how it turned out.
The string work around the top tier is the other bit from my original vision. Before I decided on the flower dome topper, I wanted to do some oriental string work around the top too (oriental style hangs up off the cake, defying gravity!); but the combination of the two wouldn't work, and I liked the dome better because it reminds me of a wedding veil. Anyway, the string work was the trickiest part because I practically had to pipe it while hanging upside down, while the cake was up on a pedestal!
With any luck the cake will make it to the event with no major disasters. I will let you all know how I did in my next post!
Here is my latest creation for my friend's son's birthday. This cake was based on the children's book, "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom", where all the lowercase letters decide to climb up to the top of the coconut tree.
Well as they say, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again...
Failure only makes success that much sweeter...
and my favorite Mythbuster quote, "Failure is ALWAYS and option!"
This is why I started weeks before =o) On to the next attempt!
I decided to take the plunge and enter a serious cake competition, which is now less than a month away! So I need to get going on actually putting my cake together. Every cake I do seems to have me trying something new, and normally that is not a good thing going into a competition, but I am fairly confident in my ability to try new things and make them work, and if I can't make them work then at least I am flexible enough to have a back-up plan. So here is the start of the topper for my cake for the May 1st competition, the result shall be revealed later when it is finished =o) :
Opening Day for my son's baseball league was today, and a couple of weeks ago my hubby volunteered to bring snacks after the game today. So we teamed up and Brian made the cupcakes and I decorated them. Quick, easy, and after game worthy. The kids loved them!
- air brush
- baby shower
- Cottage Food Law
- grooms cake
- gum paste
- hand painting
- Icing Smile
- modeling chocolate
- not cake
- poured sugar
- royal icing
- star tip
- sugar flowers
- tiered cake
- Tooly Tuesday
- topsy turvy